Monday, August 22, 2011

Out of place is how I've always felt.

It's no different now that I'm feeling out of place based on the fact that I hav lived in India for the last year, as opposed to the fact that I've always felt out of place based on the clothes I've worn. I always have to be "different" and that is something that has always remained constant in my life. Now here I sit in the middle of suburban Starbucks in my just bought thrifty store clothes which cost me like $3 and there are people here using their thousand dollar laptops (which I am guilty of as well I suppose) wearing their designer clothes and talking on their smart-phones of which I could never hope to ever lay my little hands on ever in my lifetime. My phone doesn't even have internet accessing capabilities. No touch screen (gasp!). There's nothing exciting about my phone except that it's white and teal which is different than other people's phones and so I like it. However, I wouldn't mind if someone blessed me with an old iPhone or Droid something or other.

Speaking of old things, if you didn't know I have been collecting old polaroid cameras for awhile now. It used to be cool cause I could use them, but they've stopped making the polaroid 600 film that I need and so to look up on Amazon they're running about $50 for 10 pictures. Are you kidding me? I have found one website that is selling them for like $21 for 10 pictures so if I'm desperate I'll order from them. If anyone has any old polaroid 600 film lying around please donate it to my hipsterish cause. It's the instand photos you know, that come out and you "shake it like a polaroid picture!!!" as Outkast says. I got a really old awesome one today. I didn't take a picture of it, but found one that looks almost the same on the internet!


It is wonderful being home again. Last night we had the great "corn feed" as my mother likes to call it. All we eat for dinner is sweet corn. I enjoy this a lot. Although I fear my intake level is growing smaller. I think I used to eat three or four cobs of corn, but last night I ate only two, and one was pretty small. I am not sure what that was all about. 


There's my mom, chuckin' away! I helped after I took a few photos.


Awwww, look at them all, just waiting to be thrown into boiling water.

The State Fair begins this week and I am SO excited! I can't wait to walk around with my littlest brother and eat anything in sight! Although, I miss the days of going to the fair with my Aunt Mary and  cousin Megan. Those were fun days. Megan would always drag me to the KDWB booth because she was totally obsessed. I'm not sure if she still is though because I haven't gone to the fair with her in quite a few years. BUT I'm going to see her tomorrow for a manicure (which I have never received ever in my life as I am a nail-biter) and also a pedicure. I am quite embarrassed to get a pedicure because my feet are rather disgusting from walking around the dirty streets of India for the last six months. It'll be good practice for her.

The best thing ever I got today at the thrift store was a pair of shoes. I have always always ALWAYS wanted a pair of shoes like these but have never found them anywhere ever except maybe Urban Outfitters for $87 dollars and no thank you to that. I found a pair at the Elk River Salvation Army Family Store (yikes, what a name) and they are a tad too big for me, but I didn't care. I bought them anyway, so here's a picture of me wearing them with a new outfit also. I really wanted socks with frilly lace on them and the only place I could get them (aside from super expensive American Apparel) was the girl section at Target. Look at how thrifty I can be! Pardon the obnoxious America's Next Top Model pose. What else could I do to show off how ridiculous my shoes are? If you click on the picture you'll see it bigger.


And so now I feel like walking around the Shoppes in Maple Grove since I'm here and I should walk somewhere after drinking this giant iced coffee. I also have to figure out what to eat for dinner tonight. Any takers? I'm craving everything, but sad that Curry Up is out of business. I liked the people there, and some of the food.

In other news, if you haven't received my newsletter, you could! Send me your e-mail address if you haven't received my monthly newsletter yet and would like to. I am starting a Bible Study on Tuesday nights at 7 PM in Maple Grove (my parents' house) so please come if you're available. It'll be an hour long each week approximately. Starting September 6th and going through the end of October. Not a huge or long commitment! Come learn how we study the Bible in our School of Biblical Studies, yet not as intense as we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL!!