Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Layover in Amsterdam

So I'm sitting in the Amsterdam airport right now just waiting for my next flight to start boarding. I will begin to tell the tale of my experience thus far in my trip back West.

Last time I flew to Minneapolis out of Mumbai it was definitely the worst flying experience I've ever had to suffer through in my entire life, and that is no hyperbole. My Delta flight was cancelled due to a major snowstorm in Amsterdam, so I was put on a full Continental flight-from-hell straight to Newark, NJ. I sat in the middle of two young mothers and their toddlers. Yikes. Plus the Continental guys harassed me at the airport for my registration forms which was not needed nor has it ever been needed before. So here's my experience so far today:

1. Arrived at the airport a little early and said bittersweet good-bye-for-now to the fiancée.
2. Got in and went to the Delta area to check in and the man helping me was so incredibly nice.
3. The man checking my bags let me check three bags free of charge.
4. I went through security like super-fast Flash.
5. After walking inside Mumbai airport after a pleasant experience I realized how awesome it actually is in there! Lots of things to do.
6. Upon sitting down I pulled out and turned on my laptop and lo and behold, free wi-fi! FREE WIFI!!

And so far, those are the amazing things that happened. The 9 hour flight here was average. They really should think of how to make planes better for all of us involved. More comfortable. I shouldn't have to fork over another $1,000-2,000 just for first class. Paying $1,760 is a lot and if I travel at the bottom of the barrel for that price then screw flying. This world is not right. But I can't complain I guess. We're actually moving at hundreds of miles per hour in the sky!!! I mean come on. It's a miracle, flying is. How we figured out how to make these giant steel flying machines is a mystery to me. I mean just look at the Wright Bros. first plane and now!




Flying is cold. It's really cold in those planes. Not to mention crowded and germ-filled. I'm a bit of a germophobe if you didn't already know. I'm sure you're thinking, "how can you live in India if you are always conscious of germs?" Well, I don't know how I do it. I think I just choose to ignore the mess.

Well, I have two minutes left of my "free" wi-fi session here at Amsterdam airport. I bid you adieu. 

Next time you hear from me I'll be in good old Minnesota. Yay for sunlight and American things!

No comments: