Friday, August 12, 2011

Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life

There were two good things about Mase's comeback: "Welcome Back" and "Money Comes and Goes." For some reason my iTunes plays the same songs whenever I put it on shuffle and usually I skip almost everything, but if "Money Comes and Goes" comes on I just can't resist to nod my head and shrug my shoulders to the beat. Mase, you will always be my favorite Bad Boy.


It's a bittersweet feeling when you know you are leaving your new home to visit your old home. You get so excited to have the things you grew up with, the things that are so familiar and comfortable to you. However, when you get there you realize that those things are no longer familiar, nor are they comfortable. Reverse culture shock is a real thing. You hear all these warnings and stories of "culture shock" when you go to a new place with a different culture. You are in a state of awe and wonderment constantly for the first month and you keep telling yourself, "I'm in . I cannot believe I'm really here." And everything is new and exciting and different. Then after living there for two years you get used to many things and though it is not yet comfortable for you, it has become home. You love this country and this culture and even more, you love the people here. You've gotten used to their tardiness and their staring eyes. You have come to enjoy the car horns and misspelled words. You've named the street dogs and have befriended the neighbors. It truly is home now. BUT now you must go back to the place you came from originally. It's not longer your home, but it's where you grew up and it's where your family is. Of course you get so excited to see your family after so long, especially your little dog named Peaches. Of course you are SO excited to eat BEEF again after so long and to eat bread, cheesecake, good ice cream, and Mexican food in general. However, these once familiar things are now so very different from what you're used to and going back to those same mindsets, attitudes, and people is difficult. Reverse culture shock is harder to handle than regular culture shock in my opinion. Seeing and experiencing such a greedy, consumeristic culture after living in a third world country for 2 years almost kills me. I go into grocery stores just to walk around and look at everything with my mouth hanging open. Even simply seeing all the signs written in English shocks me. Once I get off the plane in Amsterdam and am surrounded by mostly white people I might drop dead. Imagine being surrounded by dark skinned Indian people every moment of your life for the last year and then you get on an airplane full of dark skinned Indian people, but as soon as that plane lands and you get off you're in Whitesville. It's weird and shocking.



I feel like Mogli must have felt going from the jungle life to the village. The simple life to the complex. 




I am looking forward to these things:







Mmmm. Beer.BurritosssssThe Great Minnesota Get Together, Cheeseburgers, Mall of America!!My Addiction, Thanksgiving/Turkey, Twins Stadium


I will miss these things:












Paratha, Coffee Day!!!, Marathi men in white hats © flickr.com/photos/sirensongs, auto rickshaws, the local train (that's me in the photo!), butter chicken, and my Love.


See you soon, Minnesota!

No comments: