Sunday, October 7, 2012

Culture Shock, You Really Have No Idea.



It's quite amazing that I can be in Mumbai at one moment and then just 22 hours and 40 minutes later I can be in Minneapolis. I've been on trains across India that took longer than that to reach my destination. I once rode on a train for almost three days. On one train. However, I prefer train travel to plane travel because at least on a train in India I can lay down, and it costs $60 dollars for a three-day train journey. I absolutely cannot sleep on planes. It's impossible. I just can't sleep sitting up. The fact that the seats on an airplane "recline" is yet to be proven true.

Indian people amaze me though. They can sleep in any position. They sleep laying down. They sleep sitting up on the local train or on buses. They sleep crouching against a wall. I'm sure they even sleep standing up sometimes. They can also sleep through any disturbance or noise. I can't fall asleep if there's a ticking clock in my bedroom, but they can sleep through train horns, dogs barking all night, the call to prayer, fire crackers and wedding celebrations that last long into the night, and if they're sleeping while traveling they can even sleep through bumps, turns, talking, and shouting. 



I wish that I had acquired that aspect of being Indian. Sadly, I will have to busy myself with books and the in-flight movie selection to wile away the hours because Lord knows I don't want to talk to anyone and there is no way I'd ever fly first-class and be able to lay down unless God decides to do a miracle.

I remember the first time I came to India, there was no one sitting in the same row as me for the 17 hour flight. It was like I got onto a plane that was actually heaven. I got to lay out over the seats and actually sleep for most of the flight. Unfortunately, these days planes are getting more and more packed. There's not even enough room for all our over-head luggage and we're forced to check our carry-ons at the gate. Fortunately, they usually check them for free since they absolutely need to and that's how I get rid of extra baggage I didn't want to fork over $200 to check when I checked-in. 

I also discovered a way to eat really healthy, fresh food while flying. I am not a fan of airplane food and I'm sure it's not that healthy for you. When I book my tickets I say that I require gluten-free meals because firstly, if you have a special meal you get your food before everyone else, and secondly, in the gluten-free meals you get fresh veggies and fresh fruits and rice cakes and other fresh items without all the carbohydrates. Delicious and healthy! What more could you ask for on a stuffy, 9 hour flight? Would it be weird though to request a gluten-free meal and then drink beer on the flight?

As much as I hate flying, I have become quite good at it as the years go by. I am now able to get onto the flight with little to no carry-on luggage and have not had an overweight suitcase in years. 

The first most shocking thing for me flying to the U.S. after being in India is seeing all the white people. At least in Amsterdam there will be a lot of white people, but they won't be speaking English necessarily. It's when I land in Minneapolis that I almost start weeping. I almost weep because I can finally understand what everyone is saying around me. I almost weep because I see Starbucks and Caribou Coffee (not that I like Caribou, but it's familiar). I almost weep because things are in U.S. dollars again and too expensive. I almost weep because everyone has an iPhone or iPad or other hundreds of gadgets they're carrying around the airport and know that if they sold them I could pay rent for two months. I almost weep because I feel so out of place yet it feels so familiar.

The last time I was in Minnesota was in November of last year and so this is the longest I've ever been away from "home." I am curious to see if I will encounter more culture shock this time than ever before.

These are all the things I have to look forward to in a few weeks when I again make the trip from India to the United States. 

No comments: