Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Alice in Kathmanduland.

Traveling: The Story of My Life.

I used to love traveling. I used to love flying in planes or traveling on trains. Today you will find a different story.

I hate traveling. It seems the older I get and the more I fly the more terrified I am of flying. Any tiny turbulence sends me almost to tears and crying out in prayer. Where has this fear come from? So strange.

Oh, the rush of squeezing onto the train. Welcome to Indian train travel. At least the long distance journeys are not like this.

Trains I'm not so afraid of, I just hate them. AC 3 tier is like the sleeper class of the AC compartments. Every time I travel by train I get more and more annoyed by my fellow travelers. Is it like hereditary that all Indian men snore loudly? Is it compulsory for there to be at least one screaming baby nearby? Must I always be in the same as at least two people who have never heard of headphones so they listen to their Hindu Bhajans or Bollywood hits as loud as possible whilst singing along?

On Sunday I get to get on a train once more and travel at least 20 hours north to Delhi, then I must take a plane to Kathmandu and go on what is supposed to be our "honeymoon" however we are poor and it is more of an official trip than fun. I mean, who applies for a visa on their honeymoon? Who stays in a YWAM guest house on their honeymoon? I wish that we had the money to stay in a nice hotel for the two weeks we are there, I mean hotels and resorts in Nepal are so cheap! It would be around $300 for the entire 2 weeks at a nice hotel, just imagine. That is about $22 per night. And we can't even afford that! Oh goodness gracious.

The Husband and I are very excited to go to a new country even if it is just next-door. Nepal is full of beauty and kindness. Even if it is a simple journey full of a little stress (or a lot) it will still be a good place memories will come from. We'll tell our children of the time we went to Nepal so mommy could get her new visa. I just hope there's a swimming pool somewhere. I am dying to go swimming. A girl from the Land of Lakes needs to go swimming once in a while or she might go crazy.

No comments: