Monday, November 24, 2008

I found a hair the length of yours on my sleeve

I love India most of the time, but sometimes there are moments that make me dislike India more than anything at that moment. I am not going to go on a complaining spree right now, so I will spare you the details, just know that sometimes India is annoying.

Yesterday I travelled to Pune with two Norwegians, a Brit, and a Goan. I spent the entire day with the Norwegians and we did some Christmas shopping and also ate burgers at Burger King. Now, this is not the normal Burger King you are all familiar with, this is a small restaurant owned by a Persian man that sells burgers. Hamburgers, steak burgers, chicken burgers, and of course Veg burgers. I was SO excited to eat a cheeseburger that I ordered the "big" one. He asked if I wanted small or big and I said big. Little did I realize the "big" or "king" burger as they called it was HUGE. It was bigger than my face and I could barely eat half of it along with the french fries he thought I needed.

All in all, shopping in Pune was fairly productive. We spent a lot of our time in rickshaws trying to get around from place to place, but it was fun and even somewhat exciting to go around the city without a native. I realized that I could travel around a big city like Pune alone. Not that I ever would, but I could. I don't know if I could or would attempt the local train alone, however. It is almost getting to the point where I cannot handle the beggers here. They are either beautiful, elderly people who can barely walk, or small, small children dressed in rags. It is hard to ignore them, and we found out yesterday that if you do give them something they'll only try and get more out of you. I do not know what to do in these situations. I know we are to remember the poor and help the orphans and widows and make poverty history and etcetera. BUT, this is almost ridiculous. I want to see Jesus here in Pune and see what he would do in these situations so that I know what I should do. It is very hard for me. I think it is the most difficult thing about India.

I don't know if I will ever feel well rested during SBS. I am about to collapse as I type this and the day is just starting. I have to print out some music, practice with our small SBS band for worship on Monday morning, clean my stuff in my room, read 1 Corinthians out-loud in one sitting, make paragraph titles, finish the rough horizontal, clean my whole room thoroughly, then I might have to finish my rough horizontal if I did not get it done before cleaning the entire room, after that I think I'm free, but it'll be roughly dinner time and THEN I can go to bed early...maybe, only to wake up early and have all the stress of leading the entire base in worship. Just perfect! Oh, how I can't wait to relax at Christmas time which actually, probably, won't even happen if I am going to be climbing up mountains for 7 days.

I am somewhat developing post-SBS plans in the far, far back corners of my mind. Please pray that God would make it clear what I am supposed to do, if anything, after SBS.

God is really working on my heart in the area of forgiveness. There is one person in my life that is the absolute hardest person for me to forgive, and for some reason God keeps reminding me of this person, not through little things that remind me of this person, but through the Bible! Never have I ever been reminded of a person because of words that I read in the Bible. Granted they are words of forgiveness and other things that aren't necessarily good words to remind you of someone, but they do, and so there I am with this thought of forgiveness in my head, yet remembering exactly what this person has done over and over again. That is a hard process of thought. Forgiveness is a hard thing to do with some people.

This week is Thanksgiving week! It is my favorite holiday of the whole year I think. Well, second favorite next to Christmas. I actually get to go have a Chicken dinner at the DTS leaders' home with most of the Americans on base! I am quite excited about it!

No comments: