Thursday, April 16, 2009

You sacrifice so much of your life in order for this to work

Masala tea is the best tea in the whole world. I do not know how I ever enjoyed chai before coming to India. Now the chai at home seems dull although it is more flavorful at home than here, I would not even consider the stuff at home "chai."

Life has many surprises and exciting things in store for all of us. I look at the Bible in a different light now. Whenever I begin to do my assignments and go back and forth from the computer screen to the Bible I see the Bible as a book. Like a real book. A novel that someone wrote with these stories in it of history. It is hard to imagine sometimes that these people actually existed and these events actually took place! For example when Jehu becomes king of Israel, he is the first king since the divided kingdom who actually does what God wants him to do and obeys the covenant for the most part. He kills off the entire house of Ahab who was king 3 kings before Jehu and Ahab had married Jezebel the epitome of evil and was the "worst" king Israel had seen thus-far. Anyway, Jehu wrote these letters to the people who were serving the sons of Ahab, 70 sons in all, and told them to bring him the heads of the sons by the next day, and sure enough these servants brought 70 heads to Jehu in baskets the very next day! This stuff actually happened?!?! It is so unreal sometimes. Someone seriously needs to make a movie about the entire old testament. There are so many good stories here.

The mosquitoes are getting unbearable here. At least we have none in our room at night, but to talk on the phone out in the hall late at night is like my worst nightmare. I feel as if the mosquitoes have followed me from Minnesota to Maharashtra. They are the same size, but these ones are so much faster. They're a super-breed of mosquitoes that never die and always bite over and over and over again. It's a wonder I have not contracted some sort of blood-borne pathogen by now.

I will be home in approximately 75 days. That still seems like a long time when I count by days, but if I count by weeks, 11, it seems short, and months, 2.5, seems even shorter. I am excited to come home, but I am not excited to leave this place that has slowly become my home. It has also quickly become my home. How does somewhere slowly and quickly arrive at the same place in my heart? I am not sure, but I do know that as much as I want to go home I want to stay here. If money was no issue I would stay here no doubt about it. I think I might be falling in love with more than just this place. It will be good to come home for a little while though. To get my head on straight about coming back and if I still desire to come here after paying off my credit card of doom, then I will know that this truly is where God wants me. I just pray that certain things are true, real, and holy. Completely from the Lord and not from my own heart and desires, unless those match up with God's heart and desire for my life.

This second week of the final quarter is just about over, and it seems to be going by just as fast, if not faster than the previous two quarters. We start Nehemiah today and I plan on finishing it tonight. I am going to Pune tomorrow for much needed girl time with Karen my favorite Goan from the first quarter's DTS. Also, for a much needed break before the prophets begin next week. Dun dun dun... I am so excited for the prophets and it seems as though I thought I was done with Kings and Chronicles forever, but no, my adventure through the Kings has just begun now that we're about to get into the prophets. Who knew the prophets all fell into the timeline of Kings and Chronicles. I also never knew Chronicles pretty much repeats Kings from a different perspective and they only focus on the Kings of Judah, not the Kings of Israel.

No comments: