Friday, October 25, 2013

Baby Steps and Birthday Celebrations

The rains have officially stopped. I repeat: the rains have officially stopped!! I am a very happy girl. No more rain. No more mold. No more mildew. No more damp, stinky clothes at all times. The sun is out and here to stay FINALLY. It has been about one week of sunny, rain-free skies.

edit: the same night after writing this blog draft it was thundering and lightning was flashing and the rain was pouring down heavily. 

A lot has been happening lately. A lot of good things. A lot of stressful things. There's a good balance of good with the bad. So it all ends up alright at the end of the day.

Last week a good friend of mine came from Nashville and taught a week on Songwriting. I was finally able, after three years of staffing, to sit in and attend his lecture. One thing about staffing a school that really grinds my gears is you don't have freedom to do anything else but focus on your school and attend your own lectures. You don't have the freedom to also expand your horizons during the working day. Now, however, as a regular old base staff, I have the freedom to attend any lectures I want. And so, last week my friend Roger came to teach songwriting and I attended his classes and I co-wrote two songs with one of the students! 

I've been meaning to get back to playing and writing music for quite some time now and jumped at the opportunity to learn from a fellow songwriter, and good one at that! Please check out his music here if you're interested in new, up-and-coming indie/pop/rock artists who can also work magic on a sitar.

I thought that the first time I shaved one part of my head would be the last time, but it has grown on me (ha! Get it??). I recently shaved it again and this time it was with a new clipper and it ended up being a lot shorter than ever before, nearly bald! Good thing hair grows back.



We recently had an open mic night and as Romel was singing our campus cat meandered up on stage and sat down right in front of him during his entire performance. It was wonderful.


Here is a picture of the current Creative DTS that is running on campus. I was teaching them how to study the Bible inductively...the way we do in SBS. It was fun and good to get to know the students a little better. I rarely interact with students here if I don't have to, so it's good for me to push my anti-social limits at times.



Last Sunday was Romel's 29th birthday! Don't tell him I told you his age. He feels like he's an old man no matter how many times I assure him that the 30s are way better than the 20s which I've read in like every magazine ever so it must be true.

We went out to our favorite local spot for Indian food! This restaurant has THE BEST butter chicken in all of Lonavala...maybe even Maharashtra...or even the world.

Putting my baking skills to use. This was the first time in my life I told anyone to just tell me what kind of cake they want and I'll make it! Romel tastefully chose carrot cake. 

Modelling one of his gifts, a sweet new shirt.


And finally, we had a lovely barbecue on Sunday for his special day and invited just a few close friends. It was all around tons of fun and I enjoyed celebrating his birth. 

Also, the neighbor's cat who just so happens to be Arya's brother came and joined me for a while when the boys went on a night walk.



In other news, if you received our sweet new newsletter then you already heard the word:

The petition I filed for Romel to soon come to the U.S. has been ACCEPTED!!! So now we are in the process of filing another form showing that our finances are enough to sponsor his arrival (which they are not because if you saw our bank accounts you'd laugh) but thankfully we have a wonderful co-sponsor who is helping us out. All the pieces are fitting together so nicely for this I am actually in an almost constant state of shock. It's all just further evidence that this truly is the right time to be doing this and we're working with the right lawyer.

If you would like to receive our monthly newsletter you can sign up by clicking these words! It's a pretty cool new platform I'm using. You are free to unsubscribe at any time!

No comments: