Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lazy Bones

Last night I went to sleep at 8:30 and woke up this morning at 6:52 not able to fall back asleep. Jet lag does something to me that I would never choose to do otherwise: wake up early. For some reason, the first few days I am in the US or in India I wake up around 7 or 8 each morning. 

Here I am sitting in that familiar classroom I have sat in and taught in many times. I arrived in India early, early Wednesday morning. It is good being back. It's warm and familiar yet different. Three and a half months is not much time, but some things can drastically change in that amount of time. It leads me to wonder if I have changed much during the time I was home in Minnesota. I feel like I have not changed a whole lot, but perhaps my FiancĂ©e could tell me otherwise. 

It is interesting to be in a familiar place but full of not-so-familiar faces. There are new schools running and so new staff and students and some of my favorite staff are not here at the moment and it feels a little barren even though it is quite full. I do enjoy meeting new people though, and I am going to try to be more friendly this time around. I have gotten to a place here where I do not wish to meet or get to know new students unless they're in the school that I am staffing because they will leave and I will never see them again. However, that is no way to sow seeds however few it may be. 

Friday night we had a pre-Christmas party on our campus. I was excited to eat such good food so soon after arriving in India! During the course of the evening certain persons were dancing too hard and a friend fell on his knee and had to go to the hospital. I believe his knee was dislocated and fractured a little. Indians do not take dancing lightly!

A few updates since I last wrote:

I visited Seattle for the first time in my life and had so much fun there. What a lovely city it is. I was able to see a friend whom I have not seen in five years and her beautiful little family. I also had my first celebrity sighting: Danny Bonaduce! Not the most exciting celebrity to see, but fun none-the-less. I would have said hello but I was too afraid he might punch me in the face in a spout of anger.



Oh Eggnog how I miss thee....


Stuffing: The best part of Thanksgiving.



It is so strange for me to suddenly be on the other side of the world. I am not even sure if I still believe it's possible that I am in India just 24 hours after being in Minnesota. I miss my family terribly and although I'll see my mom and brother in March, it could not come soon enough. It's a little scary knowing I'm getting married so soon. I'm excited, but also scared. It is the biggest commitment of my life so far! 

So here I am a little sweaty and tired on this Monday morning saying, "Namaste" from India once again.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back safe. Sounds like theres a little culture shock, hang in there! Love love love you!!!

Brent McCollor said...

Glad you had a safe trip! Hope we can talk in March!