Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A hard rain's a-gonna fall

Monsoon has begun. Not the horrible all day for weeks rain, but it has begun to rain every single day at least for a little while each day. It's nice because our clothes still dry quickly, and the temperature has cooled down a lot. Praise God for that! I was getting ready to die of heat stroke.

It is the final week of SBS. There are exactly 3 days left until I graduate! Time has flown by faster than I ever thought possible. It is quite humorous and of course completely a good idea to end this SBS with three wisdom books. Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, and Proverbs. Yes we've learned a lot and studied historical backgrounds galore, but that is all knowledge. This is wisdom. Practical things to do in order to apply that knowledge we have gained. When we finish this school we must go back into the world making wise choices. We must set an example like Paul did for Timothy and so many other young disciples of Paul. Like the Israelites did for all the surrounding nations, but also not like the Israelites did when they constantly worshiped other gods and idols instead of the one true God. When I leave here and come home, I want to be an example. I want to be passionate about what I've learned and pass it on to people at home.

There also seems to be a running theme this final week of SBS which is marriage and life partner. This is a huge thing in India. Everyone looks forward to getting married and a common question to be asked is when you want to get married. People really say "in two years I will get married" or "in one year I'll get married" however, they at that time, do not have a significant other. It's so crazy how heavily ingrained marriage is in these people's minds. It mostly has to do with the fact that most marriages are arranged here in India. Even Christian ones. It's rare to hear of a "love" marriage, and when I do hear of one I get very excited. However, it's a bit overwhelming most of the time when people keep talking about marriage, love, etc. That is not what life is all about.

On Friday for graduation I am going to wear a tribal skirt from Nagaland instead of a Sari. I would have loved to wear a Sari, but since i already wore one for Christmas, I thought I'd choose a different type of custom dress from the Northeast part of India. It is a beautiful skirt with green and pink stripes on the top and bottom. The skirt itself is black in color, and the tribe it comes from is called Angami. I'll be sure to put up pictures in a few days!

I will soon be home and am anxious, nervous, sad, excited, and ready to come home for a season. Pray that the transition won't take too long and that I can catch up on my sleep quickly. Also, pray that I find a full-time job very soon after getting to Minnesota. Pray for wisdom and discernment for some big decisions in my life soon, but also pray that they don't overwhelm me or seem so huge. God is bigger than these decisions.

Love you all! See some of you soon!

No comments: